Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Anger of the Archbishop

The Archbishop of Santure was not a physically imposing figure. He was not quite six feet tall; and skinny enough to border on emaciated. But if anyone was foolish enough to judge the man based on that, it wasn't Hethir. They had met before, and engaged in a mental duel that would have had bards fighting each other for the honor of composing a ballad--had anyone but them known it. Besides being among the most capable spellcasters in the world--power amplified even further by the temple--the Archbishop was a very powerful psychic. Their duel had ended in something of a draw the last time, and if he was honest with himself, Hethir would have to admit he wasn't certain of winning even if he fought dirty. Also that duel had been out in the city of Santure, not inside the temple. And the Archbishop had been delivering a speech to a gathered throng and at least somewhat distracted. Now he was in the seat of his power, entirely focused, and had no illusions to maintain. Hethir was still trying to get his mind functional, had no useful allies around, and had apparently lost his connection to Michael back on the ship.
This could go very badly for him.



Scarlet silk whispered against the floor, and was stilled. The Archbishop stood in front of him staring intently into his eyes. They glinted with anger, but Hethir was incredibly relieved to see that it did not seem to be directed at him. The two men stood perfectly still, each analyzing the other, their eyes locked. Cautiously, but not tentatively, Hethir pushed with his mind. It was a subtle nudge, and as unthreatening as he could make the gesture; a mental equivalent of keeping ones hands up and visible. The Archbishop's eyes narrowed incrementally, but otherwise he might have have been carved from stone.
"So... We finally meet face to face... I had wondered what sort of being you were, your mind was alien to those I had known before, with good reason it would seem..."
Please just skip the demonspawn accusations, they tire quickly. The name 'D' means something to you yes? Exactly who is he, and what might he want?
"Quite brash aren't you? Also foolish, you think that I will simply tell you information that you rudely ask for? And why shouldn't I call you what you are, Lumis justice will still fall on you; even if you pretend otherwise."
Hethir struggled to keep his face still and not show the anger flaring up inside him, those thugs that you like to call knights have made the nature of Lumis' justice quite clear over the years, murdering village monks at their own altars, their only crime caring for a child barely out of infancy. Spare me your hypocritical delusions! I you simply want to kill me, then let us have at it; but if you'd rather stop whatever plot this madman is working on then let's sit down and sort out what we know!
The Archbishop failed to keep his face from showing his anger, and Hethir could tell that it was being directed towards him now. He thought about throwing some defenses up to spare himself the worst of whatever would be coming next, But then the churchman simply looked down.
"It angers me greatly, hearing such words, but I cannot deny their truth. I do not trust you, nor do I think I truly can, but we have our sins as you do, it helps no one to throw the stone that may return."
Hethir' eyes widened, "hearing that from you is unexpected to say the least, Archbishop."
"That is hardly flattery... you need to try harder if you expect me to change my opinion of you."
"Your opinion of me is irrelevant. If I never have to see you again after today I would not rue it, but you are the only one that might have information that I need, I have enough control to deal with an enemy to counter another."
"Am I your enemy then?" The Archbishop nearly whispered, his voice laden with threat.
By your own words you are my enemy, Archbishop, you do not trust me, wish me dead, and would have done the deed yourself except that I might know something important. I do not care about you, but you certainly seem to have opinions about me.
"Perhaps..." The man smiled thinly, "and perhaps I wished to see what kind of man you are. Something I have accomplished readily."

No comments:

Post a Comment