Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Embracing Death

I don't really remember dying anymore, that memory faded away to a dull ache a long time ago. One of the living told me once that it sounded like I was describing a toothache. I don't remember what teeth even feel like.
It has been a long time, such a long time...

Oh but we haven't met before have we? I apologize for not introducing myself-I should... right?
My name is Domnas, I lived and breathed in a small village no far from here, but that was probably before your time. One day, a curse struck my village, everyone died. Everyone except me. Somehow I managed to survive when no one else did.
Of course, as you can see, it didn't last. The witch walked into the village then, smug and seemingly pleased with herself. I did what came naturally to me, I charged right at her. She seemed to be surprised when I hit her--she must have thought everyone dead already--but the surprise only lasted a moment, and... well, while I had plenty of aggression, I simply wasn't very good.
The flames burned me away slowly, she seemed to be savoring my suffering as I writhed. "Enjoy your miserable non-existence..." The darkness beckoned, calling to me... and I willing fell towards it, then it burned. The merciful darkness vanished, replaced by cold and pain.

The village was the same, but the bodies were lined up on the street. She was still there, looking over the corpses, and as I watched, she kicked the pile of ash that had been mine. I didn't occur to me to question what had happened, only that this fiend of a witch in front of me was going to die.
She was surprised again, only this time her eyes widened in fear too. I still don't really understand how it works, but I just picked her up and slammed her into the ground, then a wall, through a house. I must have leveled half the village by the time I was done with her.
I remember her final words too, "...looks like my curse worked too well..."

So there you have it, cursed to wander as a ghost, poor Domnas. It isn't all so bad though. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen over the years. Of course I don' really remember most of them, something about being a ghost, you don't retain much.

Anyway, now that I've introduced myself... suppose you tell me what you're doing here, before I smash you and your friend through this wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment